Why Are Black Women Considered Unattractive?

“I’m a 22 year old African American woman and I’m curious as to why black women are considered so unattractive. Why do we of all women get the worst of the worst labels placed on us? I’ve seen YouTube videos, articles, commentary, blogs, studies and statistics that just bash us as if we’re the only imperfect women on planet earth! What’s the deal? Seriously!  Are our looks so unique to the point that if a man likes a black woman he is considered having “strong,heavy taste” in women?”

–Lana B.

The Harvard MBA says:

Most people would be afraid to touch this question with a 100-foot pole.  Fortunately, I’m not most people.

First of all, you’re right about discrimination against black women.  OkCupid uses data from its online dating service to reveal how Americans actually behave, and it’s not always pretty.  For example, here’s one finding from a 2009 blog post:

“Men don’t write black women back. Or rather, they write them back far less often than they should. Black women reply the most, yet get by far the fewest replies. Essentially every race—including other blacks—singles them out for the cold shoulder. “

But wait, there’s more:

White women prefer white men to the exclusion of everyone else—and Asian and Hispanic women prefer them even more exclusively. These three types of women only respond well to white men.

There are many historical reasons for this bias in the United States.  Throughout its history, the US has been a white-dominant society.  Don’t forget, when the founding fathers protested “no taxation without representation,” the only people they thought should have a vote were property-owning white men.  The 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote, was ratified in 1920.  (Amazingly enough, Mississippi didn’t officially ratify the 19th Amendment until 1984.)  And it took the Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s to grant African Americans the effective right to vote in the South (while they technically had the right to vote, the various states had erected numerous barriers that deprived them of their voting rights).

Of course, it’s one thing to cite racism for the bias against black women; it’s quite another to identify the mechanism by which this occurs.

My own take is that attractiveness is generally communicated via popular culture, specifically the world of entertainment.  If I ask people to name a handsome man, they’re likely to cite a movie star, like George Clooney or Brad Pitt, rather than someone from their own life.  (Though I generally cite the absurdly handsome Sundeep Ahuja when asked that same question.  Damn, he’s good looking.)

Whether in movies, television, or music, whites have generally been dominant as well (despite the irony of rock and roll’s origin in the black-created blues).  The American Film Institute created a list of the top 50 movie stars who made their debut before 1950.  Every single one is white (though I supposed Sophia Loren at least has a decent tan).

I feel your pain…for a long time, a common joke among Asian-Americans in the entertainment industry was that in any given year, there were more extraterrestrials in regular TV roles than Asians.

The good news is that things are changing for the better.  In 2011, three black men made Vanity Fair’s list of Hollywood’s Top 40 moneymakers: Will Smith, Tyler Perry, and Eddie Murphy.  Samuel L. Jackson’s movies have grossed more money than any other actor in history (admittedly, he didn’t play the starring role in most of them).  And for 2012, the person who topped People’s list of the 50 most beautiful was Beyonce.

Yet there is still a lot of progress to be made.  Most of the black women who are considered mainstream beauties have a look that one blogger described as “a White girl dipped in chocolate,” with skinny noses and thinner lips.  And the fact that Beyonce was named the most beautiful woman in the world has little comfort if no one returns your messages on Match.com.

Changes takes a long time.  Usually longer than we’d like.  But it does happen.

Ironically enough, one of the biggest signs of change is the lack of fanfare.  It was a big deal in 1997 when Tyra Banks became the first black woman on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.  (Incidentally, Tyra Banks is also now officially a HBS graduate, though not an MBA.  I can un-ironically say, “You go, girl!”)  Same for when Halle Berry was the first black woman on the cover of People’s 50 Most Beautiful.  I can’t recall any attention being paid to Beyonce becoming the second black woman to head People’s list.  It’s just not considered a big deal any more.

I was reminded of this power of banality recently.  In 1997, it was a huge deal when ABC produced a Cinderella musical with Brandy in the starring role. (Whitney Houston played the fairy godmother, while Whoopi Goldberg played the Queen.)  Much was made of the multi-racial cast, with Victor Garber as the King, and Paolo Montalban (no relation) as the handsome Filipino Prince Charming.  Fast-forward 15 years.  The other night, my kids were watching Rags, a Nickelodeon original movie for kids that’s a gender-flipped retelling of the Cinderella story.  Keke Palmer (you may remember her as the star of “Akeelah and the Bee“) plays the Prince Charming character (Old Spice man Isaiah Mustafa plays her father!) who falls for the Cinderella character, played by Max Schneider (mazel tov!).  No one gave a damn that the movie had a Jewish Cinder-fella who falls for a black princess.  Now that’s progress.

As we’ve both noted, black women still face many obstacles in America.  Racism still casts a heavy shadow, even if its most overt examples are fading into memory.  Even men in their 20s, far too young to be scarred by the explicit racism of the last century, show its effects as we saw in the OkCupid data.  But things are improving.

My hope for you is that you find the right man (or woman) to settle down with and marry, and that someday, your daughter won’t even think of asking the same questions you did.

1. Sully
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

As a non-white man I have definitely noticed the bias in this country towards white folks. Of the people I went to High School with, every single asian girl that I know who is currently married is Married to a white man. Of the Indian population of girls, it is more half and half, with half marrying white, and the other half marrying Indian. However, the vast majority of non-white men are either single or married to others of their same ethnicity. I just think it’s an interesting situation…

2. john dixon
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

You did not answer her question. The answer is simple: most white men do not find black features attractive. The big jaw, the wide nose, the out of shape bodies. Also, the ghetto way of talking. Look at the black women who are considered beautiful and they all have white features (nose, jaw, lips), nice bodies, and normal speaking voices. Hence, the apt description of a white girl dipped in chocolate.

3. Posted November 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Although I agree with Mr. Dixon. It is not just that!

Black people seem to be at the phenotypic extremes of the rest of the world, even though you can find man or woman of the same features in Asians, but I feel as though having hair that is closer to the texture of European hair does help.

What it really comes down to is money, power, and legacies.

Only white women can make white babies and when you are trying to maintain white supremacy there is going to be an inherent value placed on white women or women who share the same aesthetics of white women. All other races look at black people the same way as white people do which is played up in the media portraying black people as constantly inferior. Look at anime - Asian are some of the worst culprits of white worshipping themselves, so I consider it deflective to say it’s just white media. There is a degree and element of self hate. Black people have become the poster children for what other groups don’t want to be nor associate with. If you take black people out of the equation you will find that even BROWN people are less prone to get with each other but are extremely partial to whites. There is also a difference between men and women because men are the builders and maintainers of their respective communities. They are the ones who pass on wealth and property through the woman so the CHOICE is mainly theres. Women on the other hand are economic and social opportunist. All women will find white men attractive more so than other races of men, as a rule, because they are the apex of the social, economical, and racial hierarchy. African Americans, specifically have a very broken, economically crippled community where as Asians do indeed have a society, wealth, and a social order similar enough to whites for there to be value placed on those women as some sort of mutual exchange. Its not just about how someone looks, that’s just an identifier for being accepted as a participating member of a particular group. Black is at the extreme therefore it does not go unnoticed and is harder to accept; they are the group with the least amounts of social benefits - THAT DOES factor into attractive. As I stated its different for men verse women because men are typically the builders and women are the economic opportunist so you will see an imbalance in whose doing the choosing and the accepting, and fence jumping.

As of right now we live in a world of white supremacy and as it will go, white and those who are similar to white, are interpreted as superior, not just in appearance but also in terms of wealth and other social benefits.

This is human nature to want to be associated with what appears to be the best - and right now - black ain’t it. Black is in dead least.

Some black men only gain marginal degrees of desirability because of sports, hip-hop, and hypermasculinity based on the promoted sub-culture, but outside that… Please - Ming Sue is not looking to get with a black man because of revered reputation as a group of financially secure men with deep connections to circles of power.

4. Eddie
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 2:48 am | Permalink

It’s simply biological evolution. Nature forcefully moves mankind away from its simian origins; hence the worlwide general distaste of women with heavy bones, short squat powerful bodies, thick facial features, heavy body hair, and other simian traits. But we have great difficulty admiting this for various social reasons, and so it’s much easier to label this trend as racism, media bias, American attitudes, etc. Sometimes the truth is so repressed and feared that we frantically search for other less painful explanations in order to live in peace.

5. Fatima
    Posted November 17, 2012 at 3:15 am | Permalink

I honestly found this to be quite humourous. Especially John Dixon and Eddie’s responces. I am a high school teen age African young woman.I say this to stress the fact that I find you to be ridiculous. Your ignorance and blatant incompotence astounds even me at my young age. African American woman are beautiful, I can not understand how you A grown man can still see things such as skin color to be a main attributing factor to your interests in woman. Okay why are african american features unattractive and asian features not. Asians normally have no definition to their noses even less than that of an black person and they are still considered beautiful. Most african american woman are not hairy or short. Do you believe that ghetto is classified by skin color I can guarantee you that if you saw a latina women who came from the same background that you think all black people come from you would think she is quite attractive. Asian men and African American woman are both unattractive to the American society. Indian man are also not really considered attractive unless they are considered arab in TV shows. I am a little ashamed with what we have come to as a society, I am well read , I believe I am attractive and I am a very respectable but I am never asked to dance or rarley asked out because of the same things. I have come to an understanding that I have mastered being a women, I just cant master being black.

6. Cass
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Can’t agree more with Fatima. And Eddie and John Dixon are talking out of their ass.

First of all, I’m an Asian women. I have seen MANY men (of all ethnicities, including white), with Asian women who have features and bodies far from the ideal “Western beauty”. Short, squat bodies with body hair? Wide noses? You could be describing most Asian woman, buddy. I would know, I’ve lived among them my entire life.

Now, I’m not saying that I find them unattractive, I’m saying that under your definition, they would be considered unattractive. So why single black women out? Just the dark skin? But South Asians and Brazilians are dark as well, sometimes even darker than African-Americans, so I guess dark skin isn’t the cause of your disdain.

Whether you like it or not, sexual preferences ARE affected by how much you’re brainwashed by the media. It happens ALL OVER THE WORLD. Most men will prefer women who fit the ideal that is shown most in media, because they think that would equal getting the best mate (think trophy wife).

You can hide behind science all you want, but at the end of the day, it’s just pure racism and ignorance, fueled by media brainwashing and flawed upbringing.

Fatima, please do not waste time trying to understand men who claim they will never be able to appreciate beauty in your entire race (unless you look like a white girl dipped in chocolate). Don’t even bother giving these men a second glance, cause you can do so much better than an ignorant, close-minded, closet racist.

And trust me, there are men out there who will see you for you, and not care about what they’ve been told as children, or what they’re seen in the movies. Men who are capable of forming their own thoughts and opinions about you by spending time and effort to get to know you.

Love from Singapore,
    S

7. Erik
    Posted December 17, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

To me, black women – be they African, Afro-Caribbean or African-American – are generally less physically attractive than women of any other race. African-American women tend to have repulsive characters too, though Caribbean women tend to be far more friendly and tolerant, as well as less ’slutty’.

You cannot accuse men of being racist just because they find some women more attractive than others.

There are many black celebrities who are considered beautiful/hot/sexy here in the UK - Alexandra Burke, Rihanna, Beyonce, Lorraine Pascale… I find none of them attractive. There are some who I think are beautiful and sexually desirable. Noemie Lenoir, Jameela Jalil, Alesha Dixon… But they all fit the description of ‘white girls dipped in chocolate’, and they are few and far between.

I’m also interested as to why so much is made of this. I remember a Japanese psychologist (Dr Satoshi Kanazawa) from the London School of Economics publishing some data that he’d collected, where he’d asked people of all races and both genders to rate their individual attractiveness, the attractiveness of their race (both genders), and the attractiveness of the other races (both genders). He found that black women were rated as the least attractive of all females by some amount, but that black men were voted the most attractive among males (albeit by a smaller margin, though still an existing one). This was then reported in news articles around the world as him being a racist who had said black women were ugly. No mention at all of his same unbiased and impartial article stating that black men were most attractive.

8. African
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Wow am I glad I dontlive in the West? White women are repulsive when u get close to them without makeup. And with age they get worse, thats why the west is obsessed with young above older women. Ilove movies, but all we see is white white white. But africans are making their own movies soon we wont have to watch western movies anymore. I couldnt imagine being attracted to a white man. The pink skin is not attractive, tall dark and handsomeis. In meetings at work when i get close to white people when i look at their skin, it looks deseased , just not healthy. I am yet to find a white person over 30 yrs who looks their age. If only whites did nt brutalise the world and enslaved africans, african american women wont have to deal with this. Are they trying to convince real people that beauty is white? Really? Why the need i wonder? Insecurities maybe?

9. B. Matthews
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Hi, my name is Brazza and I come from England (though I live in Paris).
    I myself am a white woman and am attracted mostly by white men (whether some of you lot may consider it racist or not.)
    To my mind it is just a matter of personal opinion and has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with racism, I think it is about time afro-americans stopped blaming everybody else for having such stupidly-run countries. (And I do know what I am talking about because as a matter of fact I have been to Africa a lot : it is indeed full of exploitable ressources but unfortunately is not being exploited… but that’s another matter.)
    People have their own tastes, some guys like negroid features and bubble bums and deep booming voices and diva attitudes, others don’t, that’s the way life is. Deal with it, minorities are attractive to some people and repulsive to others, in the same way that individuals leave different impacts depending on the people.
    I don’t believe trying to find someone to blame for that is doing the Afro-americans any good.

10. African
    Posted January 10, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

b matthews

i think u are missing the point of discussion completely and u just repeated stereotypes about african american women meaning u havent actually applied ur mind. How does African countries come in when talking about beauty? Any conflits hapenning anywhere in the world today can be traced back to your ancestors. If white people today were not racist as their ancestors there wont be racism in the world. Right now u are still enjoyin the fruits of ur ancestor’s barbarism through the colour of ur skin, but then again u live in a bubble, ignorant and uneducated. And ur media is not doing u any good. So u came to ‘Africa’ a few times stayed in few hotels, saw some wildlife and now u know more about Africa than us who live it? ‘oh u have so many resources, just do something’ its a racist’s rant. Proof of ur superiority thinkin. Superior to whom when we all eat and shit the same way and have sex the sameway. And it takes me back to my question again, why the need to be above others? I pray my african american sisters would realise and come to truly know that there is more to life than being told u are pretty n sexy by white people. Whta is so pretty about a racist, ignorant, priviledged and power hungry person?

11. African
    Posted January 10, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

by the way b matthews african americans are americans. They are not immigrants. So which countries are you referring to? USA? And u call others stupid!

12. Tom
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:00 am | Permalink

I am sorry I don’t find black women attractive. They have coarse hair, big face and nose and some of them are too big. I personally like Persian women or women of that descent. They are the epitome of beauty, with curves in the right place, skin that looks like milk with a tinge of tan, blue eyes, high cheek bones and beautiful long black hair. And please big racks and curvy butt is found among African American women because they are obese.

13. Elise S. Chambers
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

To some degree each reply has its own validity, as it is an “independent individual’s” reality.

Dont’ waste time finding out where you measure up in society. Create your own world, influences, and etc.

What is beauty? Feel good about who you are, the bottom line.

14. Aaliyah
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Hi I am a young African American women who goes to an majority white high school and I have never been asked out once. I’m pretty sure that I am pretty not to sound narcissistic but no one seems to see it and its depressing. I have black features on my face I think but people always tell me my but is small and I’m really skinny for a black person when the fact is that I am in top shape because I am a serious track runner so not all black people are out of shape I have a low fat percentage and a great looking midrif when no one seems to care I look like the average in shape person and am very smart. I wouldn’t consider myself ghetto but more well rounded. I talk sophisticated and diversified cus I have lived all over in numerous cities and states so it is weird to me that at my schools white girls are always considered the prettiest even if some of the have huge love handles not to generalize and black men are considered hot so all the white women take all the black and black women are left in the cold even if they find other races attractive which I do. I thinks it’s because in our society black has neve been depicted as good and black women are generalized as ghetto loud untrustworthy golddiggers which is just like saying all Asian people can’t drive. It dosent make sense and for this to ever change it will have to be the media to show the youth of ou nation that everyone is beautiful in our own way and to not worry about what’s on the inside but what’s on the outside

15. john galt
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Black women are just ugly. Heavy features and bad hair, no wonder all the black men don’t want to date you. Don’t give me that crap about ‘BUT WE ARE BEUTIFUL INSIDE”, You ugly (to paraphrase a black person). You dress like hookers in the work place, cannot seem to pronounce the “th” in birthday,(not birfday) and your attitudes suck. White women are not threatened by black women, we just don’t like to be close to you so we leave as fast as we can. Trust me, keep up with the neck gyrations and the lip smacking that is now a black woman’s trade mark and your lives will be just amazing and very fullfilling. PLEASE keep doing what you are all good at; so the rest of us will not have to be exposed to you anymore. As this behavior will ultimately reduce black women to where you belong, either in church “prasin god almighty” or hooking in NJ. There is no middle ground for black women, just ugly anger or extreme piousness. Pray or Ho - that’s all black women have anymore. So keep it up.

16. IrishGranny
    Posted January 27, 2013 at 3:28 am | Permalink

To the African American women/girls who have posted here, let me first say that as a white woman I am ashamed and disgusted at the racist and cruel responses from white men here.

These defective specimens not interested in any kind of real women of any race, they objectify all women and think of all of us as pieces of meat.

Do not listen to what these low-life scum say to you.No doubt these men are fat old and ugly inside and out.

Everyone worries about how they look when they are a teenager - I wouldn’t be 16 again if you paid me a million pounds.

Believe me whether you are pretty or not (and I’m sure you are) you will some day meet the person who is right for you and who will desire and love you - not just because of how you look but for who you are.

Most women are not white, stick thin, blonde, blue-eyed or even young - yet fat, balding ugly. old men and pimply youths expect them to be. What a nerve they have!

17. Sarah Ojango
    Posted February 5, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Here’s the deals…I’ve read every post and many are extremely racist although they say they are expressing their own ‘opinions’.

I am a 28 year old black, African American Father + African mother from the UK.

In terms of White men being attracted to African American women….they are and always have been!

Please don’t let the media or one random study fool you. I get approached all the time by Black, White, Asian, Hispanic and Arabic and Jewish men. To be honest I get approached more by White men than any other race and I do not look White at all and to be honest they are not really my type. I am a beautiful black women with rich chocolate skin, thick braided hair, proud of my cultural heritage.

Confidence is attractive. Knowing who you are is imperative! Knowing that your life is valuable is so important. Otherwise you will accept the lies planted by the insecure. So they give African American women labels….chew them up and spit them back out….Do not digest them…don’t even waste time meditating on lies. African-American is very beautiful: FACT….now put that in your pipe and smoke it :)

18. Lana
    Posted February 5, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

I can understand the scientific argument as to why non-black men don’t like black women. If you don’t like black features (lips, nose, hair), then there’s really nothing that can be done. But my suspicion is that the media controls the standards of beauty in America. Let’s not pretend that there are no beautiful black women out there. Both light skinned, medium and dark skinned. But how often are they portrayed on television? Think of a random show. Take the Walking Dead for example. Almost all of the white women cast were all attractive. But the black women? I’m sorry to say that they weren’t that attractive. Jacqui was an older woman with short hair and leathery skin and Michonne always looks like she’s ready to eat children.
    Most people rely on the media to give them an accurate portrayal of America and the world. But beautiful black women are always underrepresented in the media. I can think of many attractive black girls I’ve seen throughout my life. Unfortunately, I don’t see that same number of black women shown in the media.
    Are some black women loud, uncouth, uneducated, overweight and generally unpleasant to look at and be around? Sure. I’ll be the first to say it. But they are shown way too often in the media, as if ALL black women are this way. Why aren’t beautiful black women cast in the roles for black women? When casting directors are looking for white women to cast, 9/10 one of the minimum requirements is that she must be attractive. But its not so for black women. You always hear them saying, “For the role of this black person, we wanted this character to display a certain strength, dignity and power.”What? You mean like a man? They don’t select for beauty when casting black women. So it makes it seem like white women are the epitome of beauty, while black women are unattractive bull dogs.
    Some people like dark skin, others don’t. But I feel that the media does the people a disservice by refusing to show beautiful dark skinned black women. You think people would find dark skinned black men attractive if only Flava Flav look-a-likes were cast? Of course not. If Hollywood took more pains to cast more attractive, in-shape, well spoken, beautiful black women in the roles of black women, I guarantee you the number of people who find black women unattractive would significantly decrease.

19. Ayaebi,African
    Posted February 11, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

The talk about African women being unattractive smacks of racism.Those who say black women are unattractive(not even the least attractive) do so because they already have a preconceived idea about black people generally.What are the qualities to be considered beautiful in a woman?Is it having an attractive bosom, haunches,nice skin, being petite, or nice character. The preference for Asian women today is a fad based mainly on the character and respect the draw. During the American occupation of Japan just after WW2 Japanese prostitutes did breast enhancements to attract US soldiers.people in the ’sex movie’ industry who have to be more realistic because their return on investment depends on it feature more black women by far than Asian women even though they are based in California with a large Asian population. Ask the same people who say black women are unattractive who is dirtier,less intelligent and less trustworthy and guess who they are gonna pick out

20. Dee
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 2:12 am | Permalink

I have to answer every ones question and responce, as an older Africa American female. I would tell you ( Willy Lench Syndrome). The media is at hand in this. They intentionaly misrepresent black females as ghetto. Slutts and hores. When that is so far from the truth. If you ever pay attention to rap videos they have young black females with there clothes off. This is not true life of a black women or girl. That is just the record companies white executives trying to keep the black race in slavery. Yes I said it with the false hoods that they sell to the public this bling bling erra. Most black men make less than the black women so why would we objectify ourselves for money or anything else. BLack women are mostly raises and thw church we are taught to keep our leggs closed from birth. Freaks, hores, over sexual we are far from. WE as black women prefer to date and ne with one man preferably a black man that is why there are less black women being married we just prefer black and most black men are locked up and or can not support a family. The high Hiv rate comes from a black man telling his women he is not cheating or gay but he is. She trust him he doesnt use a condom and he comes back and infects her. Most black women are faith. Smart, intelligent, Educated, we make are own money. We do not wait on a man to take care of us.

21. Posted February 16, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Interesting article…I noticed that even black women don’t like black guys! You can see a lot of black women looking for non-white guys on dating websites.

Anyways, I’m an Indian guy and I find Indian women to be the most attractive; I’m getting married to one :)

22. Random black male
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 8:49 am | Permalink

I am a high school black male. Over the years I have found that I am not attracted to black women whatsoever. Now before you go on calling me a “sellout, ” hear what I have to say. MOST black women tend to have an attitude or a culture that I personally find repulsive. Things such as weaves disgust me. White women tend to carry themselves in an attractive manner as compared to their black counterparts. And let’s not forget the scientific proof that black women have higher testosterone levels than any other female race. The excessively large ass, wide nose, fat lips, nasty hair, and overall ape like features are terrifying. I’m glad my sister doesn’t have any of these. Now I’m not saying I dislike ALL black women. Alicia Keys AND Tyra Banks are some examples of attractive black women. But I couldn’t see myself marrying a black women even if she was attractive. I think that if you’re a black women and you find men do not desire you, then you must look at yourself and what you’re doing wrong and fix it. Soon too, because is black men are tired of your shit and are leaving for the more attractive, sexy, gorgeous, clean, blonde haired, blue eyed, tight assed, white women.

23. Ashley
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 8:54 am | Permalink

I am a young African American female, I have always been told I should model (I tried but the idea of being emaciated to be considered beautiful seemed retarded), my first boyfriend was white and I have dated a black boy, I even had a crush on an Asian boy, I am not a whore, though other black boys would say I was because was not solely interested in black boys, I don’t see race as a factor that makes someone more beautiful. I just don’t see why people can not see someone as a person instead of a skin color. It’s just sickening. And to make it worse, people teach their kids this. This is why I want to be an educator. to shatter these lopsided beliefs in what makes women and men beautiful. And as for The whole white girl dipped in chocolate, Just Stop It. Most of those women are mixed anyway. I will gladly teach my children and any other children that beauty is not defined by yours race, and neither is intelligence. This whole beauty thing all boils down to one conclusion to me, the possession of another person and/or other persons. The need to control has been apparent to me from what I have seen in history, and that keeps human beings of all races from progressing. I was always told by teachers that my generation would be the ones to stop racism, but they forgot that its taught not learned. I just do not see why we, as human beings, have to constantly class each other and find ways to make ourselves better than the person next to us.

24. Ashleye
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

These views are all interesting (if not, for some, a bit sad). The truth is, racism exists…period. Media does have a lot to do with what the world considers beautiful and the more images you see the more influenced you become. I am an African-American young woman, with light skin but definitely “Black features”, as some of you would claim. I have full lips, a wider nose and an hour-glass shape (sorry to hurt some of your feelings, but no, I’m not out of shape, 6-pack abs and am not overweight, just blessed with the curves of my ancestors). I do not “talk ghetto” either, in fact, as a woman with a Journalism degree and working on my MBA I probably speak more proper than the majority of those of you stating “to be black means to be ghetto”. I have been asked out by Black men, Asians, White men, Hispanic men and Indians. I find that true men find personalities and how a woman carries herself to be attractive…not her nose, or stature or complexion…but again that only refers to real men. I suggest all women find one of those and stop caring as to why ignorant boys pretending to be men feel otherwise about who they are.

25. Posted February 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

This is a comment for Random black male. Let me just say that you’re actually worthy being called an ignorant fool. Reading your comment, all I could do was laugh at your constant contradiction. Firstly you start of by decisively saying that you don’t find black women attractive. Later you juxtaposed this comment by saying you find people like Alicia Keys attractive. You have white girl dipped in chocolate syndrome being detrimental to the real authentic black race. So ehat if black women have broad noses and big lips and big bums? That is still beautiful, just a different kind of beauty. If this was the type of look endorsed and represented by the media in mass, believe me, you would be all over black girls. But it’s not, so you feel obliged to like a brainless sheep, follow the media.
    Im fed up of poor black girls always having to prove themselves and made to feel inadequate or ugly when black is beautiful. You know, it’s ironic how stereotypical black features that people like yourself describe as ugly, like the ‘excessively fat ass’ is what women of all races are paying to have. Every women wants an ass like Beyoncé or Nicki Minaj, so maybe it’a attractive after all. As for you hating weaves I think you’re silly and a hypocrite because black women get weaves to please the narrow minded ignorants like yourself by adopting the apparently more attractive white hair texture and style.
    There are unattractive people in every race with bad attitudes and ghetto behaviour even though I don’t know why being ghetto is derogatory, the black race is not the unattractive race so people should be open minded. At the end of the day if a black boy like yourself is dismissing his own race then there is something wrong with the world. But to be frank, you’re missing out on the beauty and uniqueness of black women.

26. br0k3ns0u1
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 2:24 am | Permalink

I am of Indian origin, born and raised in London. I am not racist and have had relationships with most races/cultures except black women. Its not something I have even considered.

My experiences of black people generally have not been positive. I cannot make generalisations because we are all individuals but the way a large proportion of London black people and celebrities behave is just not acceptable to me. As such I am not attracted to black women.

Physically, some black women are defo hot but again the majority are obese which I find unappealing. Also whats with the hair?

27. JustMe
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:28 am | Permalink

Any Black person, say 22 years old+ (Asian or any other race) who allows pink people with no lips, pencil noses, caked on makeup (females), no curvy asses, men with tiny penises and no asses… to define Black (or other) beauty deserves to feel as inadequate as you feel. Anytime you can’t look in the mirror and see all the beauty in your Black (Asian, Native American, etc.) face, then you deserve to feel second best. I mean really, your beauty is staring you right in the face and you take cues from the nastiest, most insecure Caucasians on the planet? Give me a break.
    To the younger girls who posted: continue to keep yourself in good shape and be beautiful inside, too, and trust me that “real men” will flock to you, as the other poster stated. It is the real men you want. I am a Black woman old enough to have high school kids and men of all races can’t seem to stay out of my face. I do not look like a Caucasian at all. I am simply gorgeous, and also educated, interesting, fun-loving, caring… yeah, all that beauty on the inside. I went to a predominately Caucasian high school and didn’t get asked out by them either. I’m glad I didn’t because they were the wrong kind. Good luck.

28. I am a Black woman
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:57 am | Permalink

First of all reading this, I am shocked by the responses or should i be? I am a black woman. I am in college. Im not ghetto, I dont wear wild pink and green weave. Im not overweight. I keep my body healthy inside and out. I know how to speak correctly, and Im not a slut in any way. Its sad that black women all are put in one box as being the same way. loud, ghetto, overweight, wild weave, food stamps and all that nonsense. Yes my lips are full and my nose is wide. This is the way I was born. I dont want to be white and I dont put in weave, contacts, and etc to look white. I hate that I am judged before people get to know me just because of my color. its sad. I am a psychology major, soon to be a doctor, my sister and my mom are both pursuing their doctorate. Racism is so sad.

29. Honeybooboomom
    Posted March 11, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

So Honeybooboo’s mom is more attractive than actress Megan Good? Come again? There are many beautiful black women who are wonderful people but racism doesnt allow you to see that. There are many Asian women with wide noses, short stature and not attractive like Soon Yi Previn but in your theory Soon Yi is more attractive than Kelly Rowland of Destiny’s Child? Come again?

30. Honeybooboomom
    Posted March 11, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Brkok: I dont know, there was an article a year ago stating that condom sizes had to be made significantly smaller for Indian men as they were significantly smaller in size. Does that make you feel good? In America, the majority of Indian men are -falsely so - seen as terrorists due to their physical similarity to Arab men. Does that make you feel good? You should know better. You obviously have not met attractive black women. That is on you. To say they scientifically dont exist just shows you have been brainwashed way too long by your British colonial culture.

31. Rigel
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

I’d just like to add that those saying that black women have a “repulsive attitude” (*cough*John Dixie, Eddie, Erik, Random Black Male*cough*) are making the mistake of mixing race with personality.

Race determines one’s physical features, not overall personality. Culture and surroundings determine one’s personality. The black women described as having a repulsive attitude probably were raised in a setting that had negative impact on them. Their life experiences may have shaped them into the people that abhor you so much. Honestly, you don’t know WHY they act like that. Keep that in mind.

Let’s say you took a baby and raised them in the ghetto. how would you expect their personality to shape? Now let’s take the same baby and raise them in suburbia. How is their personality shaped now?

They’d be two completely different people, with completely different problems, dreams, personalities… everything would be different, except perhaps their physical appearances.

Keep that in mind; not only when judging races, but also when judging people based on their jobs, nationalities, philosophies, and hobbies. Everyone’s an individual, and everyone deserves to be judged on an individual basis no matter what.

/rant

32. Svar
    Posted March 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

The black “women”(I would never say ladies because that’s something they don’t know how to be) just prove what the vast majority of men think about black women to be true.

Caucasian features are softer, more structured and beautiful and you see this in most female members of the Caucasian race not just the white or European ones(i.e. like Lebanese women or Persian women).

In contrast you have black women with unfeminine behavior and coarse, rough features.

33. Bill
    Posted March 29, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Wow… people find attractive those they find attractive…nuff said.

The consolidation of cliches regarding behaviour as well as those that attach racism to any comment that is not flattering are both laughable…i do hope in 50 years the bigots are gone, the cry babies stop crying, and humans move ahead as a family

34. Alice19th
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 5:18 am | Permalink

People can like what they like. But it’s wrong when a person says I find this one racial group unattractive because of there personalities and other attributes other races have.

NOT liking a black women because she is over weight that’s retarded, there are many many over weight white people/other races but your not saying there all ugly.

NOT every black women has a adttiute, there are white women that are bitches, asshole and abusive but there not all way.

Think of it this way…there are men that are Pedophiles, more than you think. They rape children sometimes there own family members. Most people I’ve seen do this (On TV) are white.

DOES THIS MEAN ALL WHITE MEN ARE PEDOPHILES/RAPIST? No…

The girls in Honey Boo Boo and Jersey Shore are trash but does that mean all white women that are from Jersey/the south are that way?! No…

35. Alice19th
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 5:24 am | Permalink

My point is stop rationalizing YOUR hate. If you don’t what to date black women don’t do it, just don’t make up retarded half-ass reasons as to why…

Your doing us a favor, by not liking us :)

36. jessie smith
    Posted April 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

This article is seriously making me reconsider my acceptance to Harvard Business School. Shocked that the author is a Harvard MBA and would encourage this kind of demeaning nonsense by creating such a stupid post.

For the record, I am a succesful and beautiful black woman with black features, an awesome hourglass figure and natural unrelaxed no weave hair. I have lived in Europe, Africa and the US and have found that men of all races have beed attracted to me. I have dated men from India, Sweden, Nigeria and England, all respectable professionals who had the sense to appreciate that beauty comes in all shades.

This article and the comments are very disgusting

37. XenChi
    Posted April 5, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JOHN DIXON IS RIGHT WHEN HE SAID:

john dixon

Posted September 1, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

ask ANY WHITE MAN WHO IS NOT AFRAID TO TELL THE TRUTH AND YOU WILL GET THE SAME ANSWER!!! Black women please stop asking if you are only going to reject the truth when you hear it. It’s getting a little old now.

38. Geez
    Posted April 6, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

“Men don’t write black women back. Or rather, they write them back far less often than they should.”

Than they SHOULD? Wow, that sounds like a rather dictator-like thing to say. People have the right to be attracted to whomever they like, and political correctness shouldn’t make people feel forced to go out with people they are really not in to. Attraction isn’t a political choice. We don’t choose who gives us “that spark” and who doesn’t, and for someone to blatantly tell us that we *should* date people we don’t feel attracted to just because we’re white and they’re black is the definition of racism.

39. foo
    Posted April 8, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Have human decency. and don’t fart on other people or crap will come of it

40. ed
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Well, that was until recently, and that black women imitated the gringo and that was the reason, the style not favored, with hair, wavy which reached to the knees, and those who wear bright lipsticks White. But now the Latin woman, has influenced change that. The black woman now mimics the Latin style, blush softer, etc.. For example, now get extensions “peruvian hair” and look much better, enhance your natural beauty, and now the kids are more willing to go running home from a colored girl. So this post should be marked on the outdated category. Latinas So comes from a great culture 20,000 years old and therefore has much to teach, not to imitate Latino gringo, and now brunettes either, because each race has different styles. That’s what you need to learn

41. joe
    Posted April 20, 2013 at 7:35 am | Permalink

black women look like men. that’s why they are considered unattractive. sorry, but high testosterone will make any woman ugly. oh, the bitchy attitude doesn’t help.

42. blady helll
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

I am Indian and strongly feel that Indian size is similar to black size and better than white/china size. I don’t know of other races. Indian men are known for their vigor and as such they r unhapy in sexx with indian women. They like exotic vistors to India and love white and black alike. Russian are better. Black women are definitely good natured and sweet. They have strong character and is that is more required than beauty. White media wrongly potraits India men as small but remember Indian men eat crap food but are more powerful than white or black. No one can fight a determined Indian man. Black man is potraited as big but it is fact now that they aren’t. Its only the media hype. So bottom line is enjoy. any race and in any color you can find love.

43. blady helll
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

some more to add…..most black men are spoilt with bad habits. They are spoiling black women too and harassing them. I prefer chinese and black women rather than Indian women.

44. johnyjoe
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 6:20 am | Permalink

I don’t know why but I am obsessed with black women. I remember the first time I ever found one attractive in elementary school, but I never had the guts to ask her out. After that I had another crush on this gorgeous black chick in high school. This time I had just broken up from a relationship. Years later I asked her out, she told me she was single, but wasn’t (she played me). We went out for a couple of weeks before I found out and left her.

More years later and now I am in a relationship with another [gorgeous] black woman. I don’t know why, but I just cant seem to find other women as attractive as black women. I swear I don’t know why! I love the skin tone on my girlfriend’s skin, I love how her hair is wavy and how big her lips are. Love the shape of her nose and eyes. Love how light reflects off her back and other parts LOL

Am I crazy? LOL A lot of my friends always say they wouldn’t date black women and give me props for being with one. My cousins always make fun of me by sending me pictures of black chicks and telling me “This is what you like” etc. I wish they could see what I see. There are so many more things to love about them than their looks.

For example: My gf doesn’t let me slack off. She will tell me off if I mess up. She keeps me from being lazy which helps at school. Also she is so loving and affectionate, which is something I’ve never really had with other girls I’ve been with in the past. She loves to remind me of how much she loves me and will show it when we are alone.

I’ll stop writing before I get too personal, but the bottom line is that black women are very special. If you guys would give one a chance I bet you will not regret it. Don’t be scared to talk to one. Trust me, it took me 3 years to get the guts to ask my high school crush out on a date. Then took me more guts to tell this my current girlfriend that I like her and that I wanted to get to know her more (once again, complete strangers at first, but she captivated me with her looks).

45. Posted May 10, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

I am a black girl in highschool and reading these comments I realise how brainwashed this world is. I have nothing against white people at all (infact most of my friends are white and I love them) but some of the comments above are those of illiterates. I am in HIGHSCHOOL and I know that anyone suggesting that any race is less developed than another is a simpleton. How on earth would one think that the race with the least genetical errors would be less ” human”
    Black people are beautiful in my opinion and at e doing quite well considering that less than 200 years ago, they were tormented and enslaved. Infact there were at a time white and Indian slaves but they were not strong enough to endure the physical and mental pain of slavery…
    I realise I’m rambling a bit ( I do that) but this subject and the comments that cone with it strike up much controversy.
    What I really want to say is I think all people can be beautiful and there are slot of rasists out there who want to keep some races down. It’s too bad for them that people are finally starting to realise that beauty comes in all shapes sizes and colours

46. Horrez
    Posted May 13, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

First of all if you know anything about genetics you will no that white people are more hairy then a dog and i dont say this to be mean.As a matter of fact genetically white people are closre to that of an animal than that of a black person and this is a fact.I dont know where you got your information from or what black woman you saw when you stopped smoking that radiation fluid but that shit you talking is a bunch of bullshit you let out And its actually funny how alot of white people revert themselves on to others.I have never seen a group of white people that call people what they themselves know they are and accuse others of doing what they have already done and are still doing.I am not gonna entertain this nonsense/lies any longer.Have a wonderful day.

47. KevinTaka
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

There is so much ignorance in the world regarding humanity and history; and this subject is a perfect example.

Do you know that racism as it exist today, was a way of justifying the African slave trade?

So this limited notion of beauty is not a human one, but manufactured attempt to hide the greed of the most horrific era in human history. The only one ever, where a human population had their human status removed. And this has resulted in the biases and ignorance we still see today.

Regarding features:

The Fact is that every facial feature you can find in any part of of the globe originated in Africa and can still be found there.

Naturally, with the of the most ancient peoples on earth comes diversity; and there are now over 2,000 different ethnic groups in Africa, all with unique looks and body types.

From aquiline or broader noses, the epicanthic folds of Asian type eyes or round eyes of various colors, to the lip sizes and shapes various forms Africa has them all.

You can walk the streets of Europe and see a variety of features. As a matter of another fact, people who have features which are different than the norm in their particular societies, are considered the most attractive.

Regarding people from lower socioeconomic rungs of the latter, yes, their lack of available education and resources has made it more difficult to break out of environmental influences in style, language ect.

However, these are not race specific: i.e. Ghettos, Trailer parks, back wood communities all suffer the same plights, but in different accents.

Too much is made of the Americans of African descent, while the Americans of say European descent who live in the trailer park are overlooked.

Lack of education and resources affects any human being.

After the recession, many more whites have experienced the economic problems which blacks have had to deal with for over a century, and they too are finding their children becoming ghettoized.

Therefore we should understand and correct issues that negatively alter human productivity, versus blaming the victims of circumstance. Doing otherwise is Illogical, and only serves as a false boost in self pride based on ignorance.

There are also people of all colors who are educated, responsible, intelligent, creative, resourceful, cultured; and genius has no color, gender or cultural bias.

Lastly, with regards to beauty. Remove the false impressions which are society driven and you discover that our differences attract one another.

So what dark attracts light, or the reverse.

That’s nature’s way of keeping diversity in the gene pool making us all stronger, healthier and smarter, and also more importantly makes a world of less friction, ignorance and wars.

Limiting yourself with false sayings and beliefs only hurts yourself by limiting your choices. You don’t know the color of your soul mate, your perfect mate, your best friend, your best business partner, or where life changing advice will come from.

There are beautiful people in all shades and in every part of the world; I can be amazed by the looks of African people, European, Asian, Arabic, Latin, and all the mixtures between.

Human beings are gorgeous, amazing creatures,.. We all are !

48. br0k3ns0u1
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

What I hate the most is black women who think they are so damn to when in fact they are far from it. Dodgy hair, to much makeup, fat ass, deformed body and way too much perfume or worse BO.

Apart from looks they are just annoying and frankly mean.

49. Stacy
    Posted May 28, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

I don’t know where to start. First I’m not going to place blame on Chris. If you notice he only answered a question that was posted by Lana. Now I’m going to assume that Lana posted this question and it wasn’t made up.
    First I’m going to say beauty isn’t a race, complexion or ethnicity. Beauty is beauty and it comes in all different sizes, colors, and races. However, to characterize a whole race of women based on a stereotype, just shows the narrow minded views of that person. Personally, I don’t care what those type of people think because I determine them as non-issues. They are low vibration people and need to be told what is and not beautiful. Trust me most black people I know don’t give a damn what people like that think. Just like there are white men who don’t think black women are beautiful. I know black women who would date white men if they were the last men on earth. I have to digress and say I’m open to dating all races because I know life is so much bigger than that. But, I would be re-miss if I didn’t admit that their are truly some ghetto black women out there. Those ghetto women don’t like me. I get called a white girl and I should be used to it by now but I find it offensive to think that just because someone has class, speaks standard English, and is cultured, they are aren’t black. I absolutely refuse to contribute to that thinking. It’s that type of thinking that most people don’t want to deal with. Including myself. To only be fair all races have some stereotypes. So, it’s not just ghetto black women that have issues. The all black women have weaves belief, is absolutely unfounded. I have never ever worn a weave but I have white friends that have them. I bet you didn’t know there are tons of white men that have hair replacements so most people who say that can just go to hell. The problem is black people talk too much. They tell everything and the reason why people think black women where weaves is because your local home-girl announces it where ever she goes. Therefore, you can’t blame some white people for thinking this way. As for men not being attracted to black women, that’s a lie. I get hit on everyday by black, white, latino, and occasionally asian men. There is so much I want to say but I don’t have time. I want to end it this way, love yourself, and strive to be the best you can be. Absolutely, don’t waste time seeking the approval of people who will never see your worth anyway. Also, keep in mind people are entitled to their opinion. It is what it is!

50. cuthean
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Thick lips, flared nostrils, bad attitudes, and gorilla vulvas.

Next question.

51. Don wood
    Posted June 19, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Please people, don’t hate others for liking someone and not preferrin you or your kind. don’t hate others for bein liked and write badly about them cause they don’t deserve it.

Rather love those who love you and ignore the others.

52. chris
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

the amount of very angry and very racist responses here is really quite disturbing, but i suppose if you havent got a strong opinion to one extreme or the other you wouldnt have found this article so i would guess and hope that these responses are in the vast minority.

in any case my personal opinion as a white male is that, i find a lot black women very attractive (dark skinned included) same with my friends, some black women i do not.

my personal experience with dating black women has been that black women in general are not attracted to white men, so i dont really bother trying to approach them anymore, obviously we cant generalize all black women, but i have personally found that those who i have dated have been very cagey and hard work (not to be confused with ghetto or aggressive), i dont want to be on the defense all the time or have to try so hard to be in a relationship with someone, i prefer and easy going relationship. if i came into contact with a pretty, intelligent well dressed black woman who was easy going and actually receptive towards me, i would be all over her, but that in my experience doesnt seem to be the case which is why i date white and spanish women who i find to be much more easy going.

53. Kay
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Yes, a lot of these comments are very racist, SOME are true…I’m a dark skinned african American so no racism here…. 9/10 african American women are overweight, which explains the stereotype that all black women are fat. Also blacks DO tend to have wide set noses, wide jaws, and more masculine features. And the only black women in media that are considered “beatiful” have white features: light skin, thin noses and lips, straight hair, fit bodies, etc. Its frustrating when white women have black features, they are “exotic” and “sexy” but when black women have full lips, natural tanned skin and full bottoms, they are ghetto and slutty. I’m only 13 and I already realize that having dark skin is considered “ugly” by society….also anime does tend to have white preferences, for example: sailor moon has big blue eyes, long blonde hair, and a thin , tall body. She is probably the most famous anime their is….coincidence? White women are just as attractive as any other race but put on a pedestal because there are more whites in America than any other race and considered the wealthiest and the healthiest

54. Maria Gonzales
    Posted July 6, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My mother is a beautiful dark skinned black woman and even though she is 35 plus she gets hit on my all races of men. My father isn’t even black he’s from Spain and he also finds my mother gorgeous. It’s mostly attitude that turns people off from black women but not all black women are nasty like that. It usually depends on what area you are in. I understand the obesity thing though and I will no longer comment because i know I will hurt peoples feelings

55. april
    Posted July 6, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Well i am black and i am more beautiful than most white people i see around me….i have NEVER met a man or woman white ,black, Asian, Spanish or Indian who didn’t fine me attractive and try to hit on me. Just the other day i was at the mall with my white friend and this white guy was hitting on me i wasn’t interested so i point him toward my friend and he wasn’t interested he said i rather you not her.

56. Trayvon Johnson
    Posted July 24, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

This is an idiotic article that did not properly answer the woman’s question. You cite the fact that Asians are underrepresented, and yet Asian women are considered just as attractive as white women, while blacks are below average (by about 35% according to a London School of Economics study) by black men, white men, and Asian men. Her question is why is basically EVERY race equal in America on looks EXCEPT for black WOMEN (black men are considered just as attractive as other men in surveys). It’s because scientifically, Africans have more testosterone, so their men look more masculine AND their women look more masculine. This makes them have bigger features, like wide noses, big lips etc. In men that is considered attractive but women just look manly. Of course there are some very attractive black women, but overall, they are less attractive due to their large features (which explains why women like Beyonce with less “black” features is considered beautiful).
    If you’re a black woman though, you can still be beautiful, as with any race.

57. bogus man
    Posted July 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Hmm. I am Indian and I love black women. A lot of Black men want to marry only white women. Let them do what they like. I wanna tell all black girls to truly love indian men. Indian men wont disappoint you and be with you for life. Color doesn’t matter but love does.

58. Thatwoman
    Posted July 28, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I find this article to be incorrect .Maybe in America, black women are found unattractive.But if you go elsewhere we are in high demand. European men love black women, and I have experienced this first hand. They go crazy for black women, cant get enough. We are seen as exotic, beautiful creatures. Many may disagree, but if you go to europe or Africa and see for yourself. This white was mad because my friends and I were getting all the attention. I am from an African country and majority of the interracial couples are black woman and white man. Black women are so incredibly beautiful. I also think African American women are amongst the most beautiful black women or or just women, in the world. There is obviously something wrong with the men in that country, who can not see the beauty infront of them.

59. Tina
    Posted July 30, 2013 at 10:30 am | Permalink

I’m aware that we’re considered unattractive, and I truly don’t care. Luckily, my life is minimally impacted by non-blacks as it is. Even if it were, I don’t exist on this earth to please them, so however they feel about black women is their problem and business. Not mine.

60. fen
    Posted August 5, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Why if black women are considered so unattractive, and possess features that are so undesirable are we seeing more and more woman of other ethnicities, mainly white women getting plastic surgery to attain features that many here have identified as being unattractive black woman identifiers? I mean the jaws, the nose, the lips THE ASS. And I know someone is going to say something smart about ‘they’re aren’t trying to look black’.

The message I get from society and media is you’ll get more representation as a black woman if you are not one.

61. black girl
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 4:16 am | Permalink

I am so surprised that in 2013 we as a society are still dealing with this bullshit. When will people ( white people mostly) get that we are all equal. I dont see any beauty in white people that blacks dont have nor beauty in blacks that whites don’t
    Why the fuck can’t we a’ll just get past the mother fucking stereotypes. Half the stuff I’ve been reading was stereotypical bullshit that isn’t even true for most. People.
    For example me, I’ m dark skinned black with braids, tall and skinny( thats actually the natural stature of black women but with all the nasty shit in the American diet…)
    Anyways, I’ve dated white, Hispanic, Arabic and Asian dudes and enjoyed them all. I think they must have too. The white one lasted me three years. I’m also studying architecture at Waterloo.
    So, fuck all of you who think race actually matters. Thats so 100 years ago. Your loss. Plenty of sexy, single, educated people out there bit you choose to stay to yourselves cause of a mm thick layer of fucking skin and some extra melanin for God’s sake. Get a life.

62. oh dear
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Wow! Many of these comments make me sad. I don’t understand why women who have a deeper shade of skin have to submit to ridicule and prejudgment.

First of all, I’ve met a great many more loud, obnoxious white women than black women - or Asian or Middle Eastern or Hispanic, for that matter. I’ve seen white women with more makeup than manners, with poor attitudes and ignorance for days - certainly more than black women.

Black women, ugly? Monkeys? uncivilized? Uneducated? I don’t understand. I’m six foot, bone thin. Long legs, soft curves and soft hair. People constantly tell me I should model. My family shares similar features. I’ve seen just as many obese white, hispanic, Asian and middle eastern women. It’s America. Half the population is obese.

Doesn’t matter that I get good grades. Doesn’t matter that I’m mild-mannered and kind, not if the majority of the population thinks black women are monkeys.

I am a black woman, therefore I am an animal.
    Wrong. You’re wrong.

Yeah, looking at you Random black guy. Dear, you’re black. I’m sure you’ve got plump lips, a button noise, and skin like the nighttime sky. You look just like your female counterparts - your mother, sister, aunts, cousins. Please, do go and inform them of their beastly features, their savagery and their disdain for others - especially white men. Let your sister know she will never be loved because of “men” like her brother.

Not all black women are loud. If she is, that’s due to upbringing, not the color of her skin or the curve of
    her nose. Anyone can be ghetto. Being ghetto is a product of nurture, not nature. There is no “black ghetto woman” gene. Sorry to disappoint.

Not all black women are mean. Again, if they are, blame the home environment. If she is defensive or insecure, blame society for telling her that she is undesirable because she is black. (Oh, no - wait. Only white girls can blame society for favoring one body type over another. If a black woman speaks up, she’s being a lazy, bitchy, complaining, Mean, cynical monkey. Of course.)

Not all black women are fat. It is not of our genes to be fat, or at least it wasn’t. We were fed the fatty, unhealthy leftovers of our massahs and ma’ams. We had no choice. It’s hard to break tradition, but we’re trying.

Not all black women are lazy. They work. They exercise. They garden. They do yoga. They enjoy being active (I know. Shocking.). If they are lazy, they’re like me. some people like being curled up in bed and prefer movies to running. That’s okay. Different strokes for folks.

Not all black women are stupid. They’re not. They can be ignorant - but what do you expect? You won’t hire us for respectable jobs, so we take what’s left over - and what’s left over isn’t all that great. We make less, so we live in poorer communities. Poorer communities mean less qualified schools, which means a shittier education. Sorry for living in poverty and making life harder for you because of it.
    Because it’s always about you.

You know something? If you tell a child she’s ugly, dumb, undesirable, and annoying, she’s going to grow up to be bitter and resentful of those around her. She’ll be insecure, so she’ll wear weaves because her hair isn’t long enough. She’ll wear too much makeup to hide the flaws on her face. She be loud, because she never received as much attention as her sisters did.

63. Posted August 14, 2013 at 3:37 am | Permalink

This is a sad subject, that points out how unfair life sometimes is. Unfair in that fair women have always been the ideal. It seems to be more about evolutionary preference than some socialized ideal, although the latter component does have a big effect. White women in particular are desired by many from other races and it seems the darker that race, or individual from it, the more displeasure it seems to cause others. There are some comments here that I don’t like to agree with, but as they are born out by statistics, as well as just looking around at people I do agree. Many black men go after white women. Males are obviously more aggressive in many things including finding a sexual partner. Statistics reveal that white women who marry black men are twice as likely to be divorced then if they were to marry a white. I am referring to the stat, not the reason for it. Usually a black father/ white mother will produce a child who looks a lot more black then white. This creates another conundrum. Since white features - blonde or red hair, blue or green eyes, are not present in the offspring, if one goes by the criteria discussed here, that individual may be less desired as a partner.
    It is unfortunate that many black women, who seem to want black men are left without a serious partner. Nature is cruel, but it’s also ironic. Black women are beautiful in many ways. They often have fantastic figures, but many people don’t like their hair. And they are not fair…. skinned that is. Life like love is so often unfair.

64. Pooja
    Posted August 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Hi all,

I am an Indian woman presently working in a west african country. I see a lot of pretty, well endowed and sexy african women around all the time. They have the best boobs, bums and voluptous bodies. But I think I know why the men around the world dont like them. Even their own men prefer white women more. Its because of their attitude towards everyone around them, esp women. Their dislike and jealousy for other women esp the white and indian women are very obvious and very annoying.

It has to do with their men also. Their men love all women and are not faithful to them. Because of this the women here are insecure and most of the time they wear skimpy and tight clothes to attract men. They are extremely jealous of women with long hair and fair skin. They are rude and mean for no reason. They sleep with their masters and constantly in the look out for men. They are lazy and dont work. They dislike their employers because they make them work. They spend all their money on their hair (what hair?) and other make up.

I work in a college where I meet young men and women everyday. The girls dont like when I talk to their men and due to this the women are always rude and mean to me. They always keep complaining and sometimes restrict their bfs to talk to me. It is because of their rude and mean nature that others hate them. Even when there is no reason to be jealous, they are. They keep fighting and back biting their own kind.

One of the afro lecturers told me one day that he doesnt want to marry any one of them and he begged me to take him with me to India where he can meet a shy and beautiful indian girl.

There are beautiful and ugly women in every race but not so rude and mean women. When I read others’ comments here I realise that I am not alone in experiencing their shitty attitude. So I will go so far to say that men dont prefer black women, only because of their attitude and not because of how they look because they look fine.

65. Anna
    Posted August 16, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Some of these comments have been the most racist, crude, vile comments I have ever seen in my life. How could people be so sick and evil? That was an evil study that Japanese man did all for the purpose to put Black women down and to humiliate them in front of the rest of the world. All I know is God did not make no mistakes and even though people put you down and call you ugly, you are precious in God’s sight and the Bible says to not be caught up in outer beauty which is passing away but strive for holiness and fruits of the spirit (1 Peter 3:3-4)

So don’t let this evil, sick study or evil racist, sick people put you down. Because this all apart of Satan’s plan you see, he LOVES to put people down and he installs pride into others and thats all it is PRIDE.

But, for those who wrote these evil, racist comments towards Black women, please watch what you say because words are strong and they do hurt and plus, you will be held accountable for every word spoken out of your mouth on Judgement Day because Jesus said by your words you will be justified and by your words you will be condemed. (Matt 12:36)

But to Black women, don’t let this “study” get to you. This study was just done by Satan himself in order to put you down and make you feel bad about yourself but don’t let that get to you. Trust in the Lord and He will send you a man who will find you the most beautiful woman in the world(NOT just for looks either) and who will worship the ground you walk on. I don’t care what society says because NOTHING is too hard for the Lord and He WILL make a way

66. dan
    Posted August 19, 2013 at 1:46 am | Permalink

i prefer not to look to history to determine who is or who is not attractive, although, I recognize that some people are easily manipulated that way through society so that part is very real and quite obvious.

the most honest answer to this is found in nature and it doesn’t have anything to do with race, it’s called golden ratio. regardless of race, some people have it and some do not. it’s actually very natural for people to tell who is ugly and who is not. social cards come into play after that.

67. Marilyn D
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 9:04 am | Permalink

I have read all the comments before mine and I just want to say that physical attraction to the opposite sex is a basic, primal and human instinct.Because human beings are ’social’,capable of ‘higher thought’ (qualities that other animals don’t have) societal influences caan to an extent govern who you consider attractive.However, a man who thinks you are beautiful would believe so no matter what..I was greeted by two good looking Asian men as I was passing by that looked at me as if I was the most beautiful woman they had ever seen.I have been approached by men of different races.What makes you appealing to anyone is more than just the way you look.People with low self esteem are the ones who put themselves and others down, JUST BE YOURSELF.You don’t need someonelses approval before you can feel beautiful.You just dont.I am 27 yr old Nigerian female who was brought up to treat everyone with respect.If a nice white guy found m,e attractive and wanted a serious relationship, why should I not respond? God has blessed our world with VARIETY regardless of what shape, race or skin hue you have so pls don’t deprive yourself for any body’s sake.

68. mn
    Posted November 12, 2013 at 4:34 am | Permalink

Wow… i find it shocking that someone thinks that white men are attractive to all races… i’m an attractive African women and men of all races hit on me. I do not have bias based on race. Infact my friends that have dated white guys have been treated well and ended up getting married, i have only dated black men… all educated but it never seems to work out, i wanna date a white man because i think they treat their women better but every time i go on a date with one, there is just no physical attraction, it has nothing to do with personality… i’m just attracted to dark skin and lips… i always wonder how you kiss a white guy… there are no lips!

69. Posted May 5, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

I’m an Indian guy and some of the most attractive women I’ve seen are Indian & Pakistani women. I also find white and east Asian women attractive. The women I find least attractive are black women. Am I racist? Absolutely not. I think it’s just a matter of personal taste.

For example, I like Pepsi better than Sprite. Even if the media portrays Pepsi as being the worst drink out there, I’ll still drink Pepsi.

I think most men just don’t find black women attractive, and the media has nothing to do with it. Again, it’s just a matter of personal preference and nothing to do with being racist or media brainwashing.

Why don’t I find black women attractive? Why don’t I like Sprite? Honestly, I don’t know.

70. bobwerner@hotmail.co
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Its pretty simple really. In general, black women are vastly overweight (I’m not talking about the 4% who are not), they have kinky hair, their skin color is — well its freaking black!

They look pretty good when they are slender teens, if you can find one. Mostly, they all have sprinter’s ass.

The exception is they look pretty good when they are sucking my peepee or taking it up the poop shoot from behind.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that 95% of them barely speak English, are stupid as a box of rocks and have outrageously bad personalities.

And that is why black women are unattractive except for the 4% who are.

So mathematically there are around 20 million black women in the US. 25% of them are in the 16-25 year attractiveness gap. And 4% of them are decent looking. That is a mere 4,000 decent looking black women per state.

To be honest I haven’t seen one in person in over 4 years. She was hot at 16 and fat by 18!

By contrast there are some 125,000 hot white women per state. I usually see anywhere from 1 to 10 of those on an average day.

The odds of finding and dating an unattached hot looking girl of any race for a man over 25 are less than 1 out 500.

So we are really talking about “who gives a shit dude, you’re never getting any decent pussy the rest of your life anyway, so keep whacking to your internet porn”

71. ashley
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 1:44 am | Permalink

My husband asked a black friend why he prefers white women over black (my husband and i are both white and we have only been with each other). His black friend’s response was, “It’s the same difference as chicken and shrimp.”

72. Posted June 19, 2014 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

I had just read all these comments and i feel hurt of how many people would say things like that about black women. I am a well educated ,kind,15 year old light brown skinned black girl ,and to be honest, i don’t fit any of the categories about black women. I’m very shy and have a high pitched chipmunk voice ,but i still talk a little, I’m more of a nerd and i love watching anime and cute girly shows like My Little Pony :Friendship is Magic and littlest pet shop.i don’t have a ghetto accent, i don’t listen to hip-hop, because I’m sensitive and can stand hearing the cuss word and nasty thuggish talking i hear in most hip-hop songs. I listen to pop,kpop,rock,country,nightcore, and sometimes alternative music,and i really love artist who sing uplifting songs like “Owl City”.im 5′9 and weigh 120 lbs so I’m not even close to fat ,but im very concerned about my weight and health so there’s no way i’ll get fat when i get older.i know so much about healthy foods and the benefits they do for the body, that i might just start being a health teacher instead of a veterinarian or artist. I’m beautiful and have no masculine features nor do any black women. I get approached by many men , even the black guys who tend to perfer white girls at my school like me.a lot of people ask me if im part asian or white because of my big almond shaped eyes, high cheek bones,and real long natural hair ,which stops at my back .when people ask me those questions i say NO other than my great great grandfather being white ,and besides, where all mixed with something . So i guess that explains my long hair (Not to mention, i LOVE OH LOVE salmon which is one of the best and recommend foods for hair growth).Haha,it’s also my last name ????.Anyways, i don’t believe black women are ugly, Anyone can be ugly even white women. I typed all this information about me because i wanted people like you to no that not all black women are mean, nasty, ghetto, loud, obese, jealous, and all the things people say about blacks girls and women.you probably need to get out more because here in GA and all over the world black women are nice, beautiful, and a bit of a nerdy girl like me. And yes there are some mean black girls out there just like in all races women . I was even bullied by a bunch of black girls in high school and called weird by acting who i am now, bullied by black guys who thought i was cute ,but to shy with a mousy higher pitched voice, and in elementary by both black and white girls who thought i was mean cause i would make jokes about others just to have fun.but do i assume that All black, white, asian, and etc. girls are ugly? No. One day ,when we all get to heaven, we’ll all just sit back at this and laugh at the silly questions we asked on earth, like this.just keep calm and ignore everyone that has a negative heart. This world is like an egg that will die if it stays cold ,but will live if it stays warm and then hatch into something beautiful. In other words, if people say something about your race and gender, and you believe and meditate on it ,then your like an egg that’s getting cold and suffering, but if you don’t believe and meditate on the negativity and know that your a beautiful creation, then you’ll be like a warm egg that will soon come out as something more amazing.just like when people die they’ll receive beautiful things from God and become something beautiful.So now the question on “Ask the Harvard MBA is “Why are black women so attractive. ????